Michael A. Swift
Mr. Swift is a native of South Bend, Indiana. He graduated in 1980 from Tri-State University with a Bachelor of Science, Chemical Engineering degree. He has fifteen years of engineering and project management experience. Mr. Swift earned his Juris Doctorate degree, cum laude, in 1993, from Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis. He has been selected by his peers as a Best Lawyer in America since 2013 and has been selected as the Best Lawyer – 2016 Indianapolis Lawyer of the Year for patent litigation.
Michael Swift primarily focuses his practice on intellectual property, including IP litigation (representing both plaintiffs and defendants), patent infringement and validity analysis, patent prep and prosecution, client counselling, IP risk management, and business litigation. He has a broad technology experience base, including, but not limited to analytical and diagnostic testing and devices, chemical reaction and process engineering, consumer chemicals, FDA regulated compositions, industrial chemical manufacturing and processing, electro/mechanical devices, microdialysis devices, reaction engineering and equipment, probiotics, UV curable inks, chemical formulations, orthopaedics, and gas turbine engines. Prior to joining Maginot, Moore & Beck LLP, Mr. Swift was a partner in the intellectual property section of a large general practice law firm in Indianapolis.
Mr. Swift is admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He is also admitted to practice law in the State of Indiana, both state and federal courts, the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit. He is a member of the Indiana State Bar Association, the Federal Circuit Bar Association and the American Intellectual Property Law Association. He was selected to the United States District Court, Northern District of Indiana, Patent Local Rules Subcommittee, which created local rules for the administration of patent cases filed in the Federal Courts of the Northern District of Indiana.
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Tri-State University – 1980
- J.D. Indiana University School of Law in Indianapolis (cum laude) – 1993
Honors and Awards
- Ranked as Best Lawyer in America, 2013-present
- Ranked as Best Lawyer – 2016 Indianapolis Lawyer of the Year for patent litigation
- Admitted to Indiana State Bar
- Admitted to Practice before the U.S. District Court – Southern District of Indiana
- Admitted to Practice before the U.S. District Court – Northern District of Indiana
- Admitted to Practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals – Federal Circuit – 1994
- Registered to Practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office – 1999
Professional Association Committees/Activity
- Subcommittee Member – Patent Local Rules – U.S. District Court – Northern District of Indiana